Tuesday, April 24, 2007

26 weeks - 3 months to go!!

It amazed me to look at the calendar yesterday, and acknowledge that, if my doctors want to induce me at 39 weeks, then I have exactly 3 months of this pregnancy remaining. The timeline of this pregnancy has been fascinating to me:
Getting past the 5-week mark was HUGE for me, after two previous losses at that stage.
Feeling nauseous for the first time around 7 weeks, as I was warned, was quite exciting.
Finally NOT feeling nauseous around week 14 was, indeed, magical.
Crossing into the second trimester, having my first craving, and starting to show were pretty cool, too.
Feeling the baby move at 18 weeks.
Crossing the half-way point was exciting.
Discovering that Critter is a she-Critter at 20 weeks...amazing, incredible, surreal, even.
The day my fat-jeans would no longer button closed...acceptable.

I'm approaching the end of the 2nd trimester, and I'm starting to dread not being pregnant. As sick and uncomfortable and scared as I've been, this is, of course, the most magical and unbelievable experience I've ever had. I can't believe that the bulk of my time connected with baby Vi is over...and furthermore, it's so wonderful to know that we get to meet our daughter in such a short while.

I've never been more anxious to make the acquaintance of anyone.

Here is the weekly email update from BabyCenter.com:

Your baby now weighs a little less than 2 pounds and measures about 14 inches. Her weight will more than triple between now and birth as she rapidly puts on baby fat. She'll need that fat to help adjust to colder temperatures outside the womb and as a source of energy and calories in the first days of life. It's not uncommon for newborns, especially those who are breastfed, to lose weight (sometimes as much as 10 percent of their birth weight) in the first week after birth. If you're having a boy, his testicles are beginning to descend into his scrotum — a trip that will take about two to three days.

So, tell me: What do you think Vi will be like? Who will she look like, how much will she weigh, what music will she like, what will be her favorite story, will she be a dog person or a cat person?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

> What do you think Vi will be like?

Like a fine French wine, like a pearl of great price, like a summer's day.

> Who will she look like,

I think she will look precisely like the person she will be, except under the following circumstances: 1) immediately after sneezing, 2) when hanging upside down from "monkey bars" (or have those all been ripped out of playgrounds?), and 3) the first time you see her after she shaves her head to raise money for charity at age 19.

> how much will she weigh,

ten stone, one troy ounce, and two grains.

> what music will she like,

Mahler, Symphony no. 8 in E-flat major.

> what will be her favorite story,

The grand story of being, time, and life. Second favorite: The Castafiore Emerald.

> will she be a dog person or a cat person?

Armadillo.

Critter's Mom said...

Can't even begin to describe how I am giggling right now...!

Unknown said...

Vi will be like: a tornado and a peaceful lake at dawn.

Vi will look like: Don King.

Vi will weigh: decisions- carefully.

Vi's music of choice: Ani Difranco, Vivaldi, and Johnny Cash.

Vi's favorite story: The Awakening by Kate Chopin. (Her mom will give this book to her during college, just like she did for me.)

Vi's preference (dog or cat): Yes.