Friday, May 18, 2007

Baby Vi's first pony

Last Thursday was my Last Thursday at Huston & Company. I worked there as the bookkeeper for three years - three great years. I became very, very close (and silly) with my office mate, and enjoyed the laid-back, positive-attitude, fun work environment thoroughly. This is one of those places - when you walk in, you know there's something joyful happening. I decided a few months ago, when offered a broader position with my other employer (one that would allow me to work from home some, qualify for Short-term Disability aka Paid Maternity Leave, and make it possible for us to avoid the expense of day care for several months), that the right decision for me and my family (my family!) was to leave my position with Huston, however tearful the departure would be.

So, Last Thursday I made my final 35-minute commute to beautiful Kennebunkport for my Last Thursday at Huston.

It was a beautiful, sunny, good-smelling Spring day in Maine. At lunchtime, we found ourselves - the entire company - sitting around the picnic table, some of us on benches, some leaning happily against the tree. I was presented with a pretty gift - smaller than a bread box, wrapped in white paper with a pretty orange ribbon - and a sweet "baby girl" card. I opened the gift, to discover it was a box of tissues.


This was very well-timed.


Suddenly, Bill has shown up next to me, carrying this:














This is a solid cherry, norwegian designed rocking horse, with wood inlays for the eyes and hand-sewn fuzzy ears.


Hand-made by every single person at Huston & Company.


For my baby.


Now, tell me you didn't just well up with tears!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is beyond adorable.

I want to pet the ears.

Katrine said...

Well, yes, of course I did just well up with tears.
Kate