Tuesday, July 3, 2007

36 Weeks - Less than a month to go!

I started seeing my acupuncturist last week, to get "things" moving. I saw her again today, and next week we'll intensify the treatment. She does some points along my sacrum, mostly, and stimulates the needles just by twirling them. "Intensifying the treatment" means adding the electricity...ZAP! I'll have some buzz-buzzing feelings where the needles are inserted, but it won't hurt (me or the baby).

I have a 36-week check-up on Thursday, and the doctor will do my first cervical exam. This will most likely not be very pleasant, as a woman's cervix is very sensitive. They'll also do a Group B Strep test, to see if I'm a carrier of that bacterial strain. (I'm probably not). If I am, I'll have to take anti-biotics right before labor to make sure I don't pass it on to the little baby.

We had an ultrasound on Monday. Once again, Baby was movin' and shakin' up until they started looking at her! I think she's getting camera shy. They were able to get all of her measurements, listen to the cord and the heart, witness some "practice breathing," and check the placenta with no problem. Before they will let me go, Baby has to show her stuff - she has to demonstrate that she is able to move around (and kick her Mama). She was sound asleep for most of the exam, so I switched positions, we jiggled the belly, Dan talked to Baby...and they had to bust out the noise-maker in the end. This is a little hand-held device that makes a buzzing noise like an alarm clock. The technician holds it up against the belly to wake up Baby. Within a half-second of doing this yesterday, Baby woke up and tried to leap out of me through my belly button. That was definitely a big enough movement to pass the test!

Her size is normal - about 6 pounds, 10 ounces. She's in the 60th percentile. (The 50th percentile is the weight of most babies.) They say you can give or take a pound off that estimate, at this stage. Dan and I agree that there is NO way Baby is 7 pounds 10 ounces right now - I'm simply not THAT big!

So - how much do YOU think Baby will weigh at birth? I'm putting my official guess out there at 7 pounds, 13 ounces. Go ahead - guess. Put it in the "comments" section below. If you're right, you get the satisfacation of knowing you once guessed the weight of a person before you ever laid eyes on her.

By the way - Baby Walsh IS in the head-down position!

Here is the email update for the week:

Your baby is gaining about an ounce a day. She now weighs almost 6 pounds and is a little under 19 inches long. She's shedding most of the downy hair that covered her body, as well as the vernix caseosa, the waxy substance that protected her skin during her nine-month amniotic bath. Next week, your baby will be considered full-term. Most likely she's in a head-down position, but if she isn't, your practitioner may suggest scheduling an external cephalic version, where she'll try to turn your baby by manipulating her from the outside of your belly.


By the way - Baby Walsh IS in the head-down position!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, ok.. I know this blog is supposed to be about Baby Vi, but I have exciting baby news to share with the world! I became an aunt for the first time last night (July 4) just as the fireworks were starting at 9:21 pm. Amara Kathryn Fuchs is the cutest! Full head of hair and eyelashes! I held her this morning-- a mere 10 hours after her arrival. I won't tell you what my sister-in-law looked like after 48 hours of labor... but my brother is a natural in his new role as "dad". Hurrah! And I'm going to guess Vi's weight as 7 lbs, 4 oz. in honor of Amara's birthday 7/4. -Aunt Di

Kristin said...

Vi will weigh one viweight, until she pees. Then she will weigh one viweight minus a few millivis.