Sunday, January 31, 2010

Why? What's THAT?

Vi has officially entered the very, very curious stage. She asks "Why?" about nearly everything.

Dan: Vi, please leave Riley's food where it is.
Vi: Why?
Dan: Because it's a big bin and it could spill and make a big mess.
Vi: Why?
Dan: I don't know why. That's just how it is. Did you hear my message?

And so on... We tried to go to a new indoor kids' gym today, Peek-a-boo. The whole way there, she was full of questions:
Vi: Where's the New Gym?
Me: It's i Westbrook.
Vi: Ooo-ooo-ooh!
(Moments pass)
Vi: Where's the New Gym?
Me (pointing): It's that way.
Vi: Why?
Me: Because that's where they decided to build it.
Vi: Why?
Me: I'm not sure.
Vi: Where's Adam & Dylan and Sass-a-lee?

And so on...

As I type this, she is having bedtime storytime with Dan. They are reading "Goodnight, Maine," which, all of you parents of toddlers know is NOT a very exciting book. Here's what I'm hearing:
Vi: What's that?
Dan: That is a mountain.
Vi: What's that?
Dan: That's another mountain.
Vi: What's that?
Dan: That's the moon.
Vi: What's that?
Dan: That's a tree.

I hope it's obvious to you that she KNOWS what these things are. It's just her way of stretching out story time and getting Dan wrapped more and more around her little finger. He answers so patiently and so sweetly - I love it. He is really good at bedtime, actually. I hear him keep himself calm, and use every tool in his possession to get her to sleep. She was pitching a major fit the other night, and I was so impressed with how he handled it! He said, "I hear you saying you're all done. It's bedtime, though, and I need you to get back in your bed." It's just really amazing to listen to the two of them talk.

One of Vi's current reading favorites is One Morning In Maine. She recites the first page by herself! "One morning in Maine, Sal woke up. She peeked over the covers, and excitedlymumblingunintelligiblewordstotakeupspaceuntilshecansay Going to Buck's Harbor!!!"

(Pause.)

"Where's Buck's Harbor?"

1 comment:

Katrine said...

I absolutely LOVE reading One Morning in Maine outloud. It was always my favorite book to read to the kids. So much so that they got tired of it. I love saying, "Do Seals have teeth?" and "I have a tooth out!" For some reason, whenever I read it, I take on this funny, almost southern accent. Can't help it. But I love it. Glad Vi is enjoying it too!