Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Hot Toddy and Day Cream

I do like to post about topics other than my kid. Really, I do. I'm happy when the content-related ads are pleasing to my readers - such as the Crabtree & Evelyn ad which caught the interest of my friend, Katrine. This ad appeared when I wrote about our success at getting rid of Vi's eczema using the Dionis unscented lotion.

This lotion was a gift from my friend Kristin. She's one of the friends who comes to visit me and Vi, and while hanging out and playing and feeding me and telling me jokes she also manages to interact with Vi and do my dishes and fold my husband's underwear. A GOOD FRIEND, to say the very, very least. We have known each other for over 20 years, and she continues to be the kindest and smartest person I have ever known.

So, to honor her, I will today blog about Barcelona and Alcohol.

Kristin and I met up in Barcelona about 10 years ago for a week-long adventure. We drank the best, best sangria while sitting on Las Ramblas, visited a beautiful monastery on a hillside, saw amazing (and amazingly strange) Gaudi, stayed in a simple yet very cool youth hostel, and tried our best to stay afloat with our Castillian Spanish skills in a primarily Catalan region. BEST VACATION EVER. We also took a two-day jaunt across the country to La Coruna, the city where I lived during my semester abroad. Most of the time was spent on the train, the smoky, smoky train, but we did get to wander the streets of the city, see the beautiful coastline and reunite with my host family. La Coruna is directly across the ocean from where I live, so there are remarkable similarities between the two areas. Someday I will scan my photos and post any that are worth sharing. We had a very memorable trip, and I'm dying to go back! Just today, I saw an ad for $192 airfare to Barcelona. Moments later, a friend and colleague told me he is going there for an anniversary trip with his wife. Aaaagh! Dan and I will go, someday.

Speaking of Dan, he's had a miserable time with being sick this winter. He's had a stomach bug and an ongoing cold. A few weeks ago he had bronchitis that necessitated a trip to the doctor's office and antibiotics. The medication seemed to do the trick, but last week the cough and rumbling came back. I went out and bought some Jack Daniels and made him a hot toddy that night. Here's my recipe:

2 shots of Jack Daniels
1 shot of lemon juice
1-2 T honey
Sugar to taste (optional)
Hot water

I mix everything but the water in a big mug, then pour piping hot water in. Part of why this is a cure-all is the heat from the water and the heat from the whiskey. It should be sipped slowly just before bed. I don't care how well you tolerate liquor - if you're sick and you have this in your PJs all cozy in bed, you'll be knocked out quickly for a restful night of sleep. Most likely, you'll feel MUCH better in the morning.

So, that's it. I hope some interesting ads appear for all of you, but mostly, I hope you have the joy of knowing a friendship as sweet and as long-lasting as mine with Kristin. She's just great.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Aw. heck. stop. But thank you for publishing your recipe for a hot toddy. I should try that sometime.

I was recently remembering our room in the Barcelona pension because I was watching a movie set in the 40s in which there was a motel bed with "magic fingers" activated by a coin dropped in the box . . . do you remember our joke about turning on the bed?

World please take note: 1) Critter's Mom and I never shared a bed with "magic fingers." 2) I never touched her husband's "underwear." Coming out of the dryer, it's all just "laundry."