Thursday, March 19, 2009

I know you can be OVERwhelmed, but can you just be Whelmed?

This is a completely indulgent, self-serving, venting post, so please feel free to just skip it! I have WAY too much stuff on my plate right now! A sampling:

Home stuff:
  • Dan has bronchitis! Yuck. He's been coughing a lot lately, and when he falls asleep, he MOANS. Remember in When Harry Met Sally, the split-screen phone scene? When he practices moaning? Like that. JUST like that.
  • We still haven't received any money from Dan's unemployment claim.
  • Dan has been unable to find a temporary, part-time job to hold us over while he's in school.
  • My grandmother in Ohio is still not well. She seems to have, well, "cracked" a few weeks ago. She's rambling unintelligibly, and seems completely confused and paranoid. The doctors did a CAT scan, and determined that she has Alzheimer's. I have never heard of sudden-onset Alzheimer's, so I'm not sure how they concluded that. She's been FINE up until her recent hospitalization. It's all very strange, stressful, and sad. My paternal grandmother had Alzheimer's, so I know what early-onset dementia looks like. It's a very emotional subject for me, so I'm feeling extra-senstive about all of this.
Work-related stuff:
  • I am planning/preparing a QuickBooks seminar at work, for tomorrow night. We're having some technical difficulties...to say the least.
  • I have a project of re-creating and validating information from 2004 - 2008 for a client. Yikes!
  • A huge, eye-killing, monitor-staring, spreadsheet-reviewing project, trying to identify discrepancies in an inventory system.

Somedays, the pressure and stress becomes too great and drowns me.

This is one of those days.

1 comment:

Katrine said...

Apparently, yes, you can be "Whelmed", according to Merriam-Webster:
Main Entry: whelm
Pronunciation: \ˈhwelm, ˈwelm\
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English
Date: 14th century
transitive verb
1 : to turn (as a dish or vessel) upside down usually to cover something : cover or engulf completely with usually disastrous effect
2 : to overcome in thought or feeling
intransitive verb
: to pass or go over something so as to bury or submerge it