Friday, November 6, 2009

Singer 401A

I have my grandmother, Vigolia's sewing machine. Because it's so old, and completely made of metal, I knew it was of some quality. Basically, I thought it was sturdy and would last forever. I had no idea that it was somewhat of a specialty machine!

It's a Singer 401A.

Google it. Go ahead.

Yup, that's right. These machines, with all the attachments, in excellent condition, can sell on eBay for almost $500! Of course I'm not going to sell it, but it really makes it more exciting to take it to the Singer shop for a tune-up, order the manual online, and get myself sewing again. I'm planning on some quilting - one for Vi, one for us, one for the guest bedroom...maybe I'll start making quilts as my standard gift. I'd also like to re-learn how to sew basic clothing, so I can make pants, skirts, dresses and so on for Vi. I really need a creative outlet, and something that is "just for me." I think sewing could be that hobby.

Also on my list of things to re-learn:

Piano: I played from the time I could reach the keys, all the way through high school. I didn't practice much after that, and I now struggle with basic chords! I can play songs that I knew by heart 15 years ago, and I can still sight-read...sloooooowly...but I'd like to be really good again.

Knitting: I learned to knit from my grandmother Elsie, my aunt Athena, and most recently, my friend Kristin. I can make a scarf, or anything that is mostly rectangular. I'm horrible at counting stitches, thus the "mostly." I would like to learn to make socks, hats, mittens, sweaters!

Singing: I would like to re-learn songs. I used to know a whole catalog of fun kids' songs - just ask any of my old camp friends. I can't remember the words to most of them anymore! Vi came home singing "A rum-sum-sum" last year, and it brought back a ton of memories! Leading songs with good friends at Pilgrim Lodge, sitting around a campfire with a guitar or just standing up in the dining hall after lunch.

What hobbies do YOU miss, now that you're all grown-up and busy with grown-up stuff? What would you re-learn if you had an extra hour in the day? How do YOU carve out time, make time, find time for some "me" time?

2 comments:

Katrine said...

Not a hobby really, but I do miss the days when on a whim I could out and jog 5 miles, or play a sport with friends all afternoon in the sun. Relaxed excersize. That is what I miss.

Unknown said...

I used to make bead jewelry and I've recently started making notecards again now that getting married has expanded greatly the number of people to make birthday cards for in my family! I make wacky and fun cards and apparently everyone has either appreciated or tolerated their card so far!